Одесса. Вид Александровского проспекта с птичьего полета.Открытое письмо. Изд. С.О. Гефтера. 1908 г.
Разрушенная школа по проспекту им. Сталина, фотография из книги «Одесса в Великой Отечественной войне Советского Союза. В 3-х т.», 1944 г.
Александровский пр-т угол ул. Пантелеймоновской, демонтаж домов в «климовском квартале», фотограф В. Теняков, 25 апреля 2014 г.
Under the Soviets Aleksandrovskiy Prospekt (Aleksandr Avenue) was called at first after the rebel
fleet lieutenant P.P.Schmidt, after that was renamed after Joseph Stalin, and still later, during cold war perod - Prospekt Mira (Peace Avenue).
The prospect named Bolshoy (Great) was depicted at the first Odessa maps as a line dividing the Greek and Military vorstadts (suburbs). In 1825, after Emperor Aleksandr I death, the prospect was renamed into Aleksandrovskiy and was decided to be made comfortable, with trees planted along its center, starting from Aleksandr Square up to Old Market. The prospect's continuation, from Old market to Privoz Market, to be more precise - to Privoz Square - was called Aleksandrovskaya St., with numeration of its own.
The prospect was conceived at first to start from the middle of Deribasovskaya St., but by that time a house of G.Toricelli, an architect, was already built, succeeded by circular building in the middle of Greek Square with its numerous shops and Mayurov's tavern, along with another one, semi-circular, with its flat facade looking onto Police (Bunin) Street. Thus, Aleksandrovskiy Prospekt started from Police (Rosa Luxemburg, Bunin) St., and after four blocks was stopped by the Old Market. Along these blocks on the left and the right numerous shops and offices of trading companies were situated.
Odessa 1869 guide calls Aleksandr Avenue «the long-abandoned and cut down boulevard». It is captured as such in the 1864 photos by the Odessa pioneer photographer F. Gaas.
Photo of 1880s is known where the winter ice rink at the Aleksandrovskiy Prospekt start is shown with Odessites gladly skating over its surface. Some ladies sitting in special arm-chairs with runners were driven by their cavaliers or other ladies.
The prospect was dominated by one of the oldest Pokrovskaya (Intercession) Church. Its belfry was rebuilt in 1862. As it was situated in the markets direct neighbourhood and was closest to the city's downtown, the first wall wooden clock was installed there for the church bell to toll informing in this way the city about the right time. Forther on the clock was moved to Duma. Rather short at its origin, the belfry was
extended during 1862 rebuilding and existed until 1930s when it was destroyed. It was substituted by school No 119 built from its stones.
Mere fountain was left from the Pokrovskaya Church, which was installed opposite it in the centre of the boulevard, as seen in litograph made around 1890. At the same time the prospect was paved, landscaped, the trees were planted and a low solid grid was installed.
The fountain that used to face the church, since 1997 is a fountain-monument to advocates of law and order lost in the line of duty. Their names are engraved into the monument granite framing.
The prospect is lined by numerous houses of olden days built both in the middle of the 19th century and in the late 19th - early 20th century, like No 17 house used to be owned by the 1st guild merchant M. Blizhenskiy dealing in manufactory. The house was built by an arfchitect L. Adamson in 1890 and was used as a tenement building.
Eva Krasnova, Anatoliy Drozdovskiy.