Bus Station

Razumovsky Palace in Odessa

Razumovsky Palace in Odessa

Малый дворец графа Разумовского на ул. Колонтаевской, район центрального автовокзала, 1890-е годы

Малый дворец графа Разумовского на ул. Колонтаевской, район центрального автовокзала, 1890-е годы

Бывший ресторан «Северный медведь», ранее бывший малый Дворец Разумовского, на месте будущего автовокзала, фотография 1920-х годов

Бывший ресторан «Северный медведь», ранее бывший малый Дворец Разумовского, на месте будущего автовокзала, фотография 1920-х годов

Здание автовокзала, архитекторы А.М. Милецкий, И.Н. Мельник, Э А. Бильский, фото из Большой советской энциклопедии

Здание автовокзала, архитекторы А.М. Милецкий, И.Н. Мельник, Э А. Бильский, фото из Большой советской энциклопедии

Автовокзал, фотограф В.Г. Алексеев, 1965 г.

Автовокзал, фотограф В.Г. Алексеев, 1965 г.

Автовокзал, открытка, фотограф А. Подберезский, 1972 г.

Автовокзал, открытка, фотограф А. Подберезский, 1972 г.

Автовокзал, открытка, фотограф Б. Круцко, 1976 г.

Автовокзал, открытка, фотограф Б. Круцко, 1976 г.

Фото из семейного архива, 1976 г.

Фото из семейного архива, 1976 г.

Автовокзал, фото на открытке Р. Якименко, 1978 г.

Автовокзал, фото на открытке Р. Якименко, 1978 г.

Автофокзал «Одесса». Фотография из путеводителя «Одесса», 5-е издание, 1968 г.

Автофокзал «Одесса». Фотография из путеводителя «Одесса», 5-е издание, 1968 г.

Одесса. Автовокзал. 1981 г.

Одесса. Автовокзал. 1981 г.

The picturesque place at one of the Vodyanaya Balka (Water Gully) hillsides, now Balkovskaya Street, where for nearly 50 years Odessa Bus Station has been situated, was owned in the early 19th century by Count P.A. Razumovskiy. He laid out an extensive garden there and erected a minor palace. After his death the minor palace was owned by different successive proprietors and was repeatedly rebuilt. At the beginning of the 20th century the house and the garden left by the first owner belonged to an entrepreneur L.N.Shapiro.

A small L. Shapiro's brewery is known to work there in early 20 century, succeded by «Polar Bear» restaurant. At the photo made at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries the house is shown during one of the rebuildings. It was there up to the mid-20th century and was demolished to clear space for the bus station.

Odessa Bus Station was built at the end of Dzerzhinskiy Street (now Kolontaevskaya St.) in 1964. It was designed by L.M. Narkevich who was previously the architect of Kiev Bus Station. Architect A.M. Miletskiy was the construction engineer. Ceremonial opening with cutting red ribbon took place on October 5, 1964, with the first passenger bus starting therefrom bound for Kiev, the capital of Ukraine.

The building of bus station, as the minor palace of Razumovskiy before that, looks onto the Kiev highway and looks nicely at its small elevated plateau.

Road interchange at this place, along with Balkovskaya St. reconstruction, forever erased all traces of former gardens, places, and plants.

Eva Krasnova, Anatoliy Drozdovskiy.